Friday, February 25, 2011

Auckland lifestyle


Fifteen hundred residents a day travel by ferry to Auckland from Waiheke Island. Not a bad commute as commutes go.

You can't walk more than 20 feet in any direction without stumbling across a cafe, and the choice of coffees is astounding. I'm partial to latte with a triple shot of expresso, but I pay $5.60 for one of those babies. Starbucks has cracked the scene here but I haven't seen a Tim's anywhere around.

I was so appreciating the NZ countryside the other day as I labored up one of the 53 volcanoes that surround Auckland, not so much for the views, but for the ability to walk through knee-high grass without the slightest possibility of stepping on or near a snake. You gotta like a country with no snakes! Or anything else that can kill you for that matter, except maybe for the bus drivers. I rode with one yesterday who seemed intent on running down a cyclist and almost took off a young woman's nose who was standing too close to the bus lane - and she didn't have a big nose.


1 comment:

  1. The fear is like metal on my tongue—I’ve known him but a fragment of time, and yet I’m certain if I accept his suit, it will destroy a part of me when he leaves.”
    Keir reached forward to tuck her hair behind her ear.
    “We’re all a little broken.” Quiet. Potent. “No one goes through life with a whole heart. Cheap Flights to Auckland | Flights to Auckland | Cheap Air Tickets to Auckland

    ReplyDelete