Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kilts and flip flops

Sorry about the lack of photos, but there's nowhere to plug in my camera here.  I'll add them when I get home, although it doesn't seem safe yet to leave here - temperatures in Kingston are hovering around zero and that's still way too cool!

Today was the Scottish Highland Festival in the park across from Waikiki beach.  Picture bagpipers with kilts, flip flopped spectators, surfers cruising through the food tents scarfing scotch eggs and Hawaiian pig plates (pulled pork) and cheers from the nearby "Spirit Competition" (I think that's cheerleaders) spilling over onto the celtic bands that played all afternoon. It was surreal.

I've seen 70-year-olds with boogie boards, very badly dressed tourists, large Hawaians, tiny Asians and everything in between.  It's a must-see place, really. I'm off to Kelly O'Neill's to see more live music and who knows what else.

Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment