Monday, March 7, 2011

Scotch on the Beach






My friend Lyn and I were on a drive up the coast and just passing through Cottesloe when she swerved into a parking lot exclaiming that Scotch on the Beach was on. Here we go, I thought, another drinking opportunity in Australia and it's only 10 am and 35 C. Turned out that I didn't hear the -ture as in Sculpture. Each year, international artists are invited to install their works on the beach in this town with a gorgeous seascape as a backdrop.

If you've noticed a dearth of posts to this blog, it's because I've been too busy relaxing! Outdoor movies and concerts, kayaking on the Swan River (taking care not to roll into the water amid the big brown jellyfish that were everywhere), and dragon boating seem to take up a lot of my time.

Today we picked up David Edwards and his friend Bridget at the cruise ship pier and gave them a tour of Fremantle and the Little Creatures brewery, the sculptures at Cottesloeand the riverside drive into Perth. They fly out to Auckland tomorrow after a cruise all around Australia, including Bali.

Tomorrow I'm horseback riding with another friend and will hopefully get a half-dead pony who's not afraid of snakes or kangaroos, which I'm told we'll see. Next week is a two-day trip to Rottnest Island for biking, barbequing and drinking wine. Actually drinking wine is a regular activity wherever I happen to be.

Just so I don't forget...petrol here is $1.29/l and in NZ it was $2.02 - I guess we don't have it so bad. Relatives are rellies, cookies are bisquits and bisquits are bikkies. This weekend is Labour Day and I just took in the concert and fireworks just down the street. It's rained once here since Nov. so there's very little chance that any of these outdoor activities will be cancelled - what a great country!

No comments:

Post a Comment