Friday, March 11, 2011

They call this golfing?!?


My friend Joan took me out with her ladies golf group this morning at a beautiful local course - Glen Iris. Because of the heat, she picked me up at some God-awful time somewhere near 6 am and before I'd had my regulation 2 cups of coffee. Things started off pleasantly enough until we got to the first green and I put my ball within 2" of the cup. I thought Annie was going to faint when I tapped it into my hand and walked away. Apparently there are no "gimmes" in Australia. And Joan told me that if I had been playing with Edith "she would have your guts for garters". Okay, so I'm really glad at this point that Edith decided to stay home. On the second tee I corkscrewed my ball off into a bush area where I'm told snakes have their homes. "How about a mulligan?", I asked naively. Nope. No gimmes; no mulligans.

I knew I was in a foreign land when Lorna got into a monster bunker on nine and took 8 strokes to get out - no swearing, no attempted kicks or throws out of the sand - nothing. I was just thankful that Joan was on my wavelength and ordered us 2 beers just after 9 am. I needed that.


Black swans in the Swan River and that's the Perth skyline in the background in the top photo

No comments:

Post a Comment